Thursday, May 28, 2009

Generic or Brand Name???


Ok, so I am a split decision when it comes to buying the generic version vs. brand name. Sometimes I can see a definite difference in quality and go for the brand name--i.e. green beans. Other times I don't and go for the generic version--i.e. ibuprophen. So, I thought I'd throw this out there for the rest of you who are still sitting on the fence. These are two pairs of shoes I have used for the girls for the same amount of time. The top pair is the target version I bought brand new--retail $13.99. The bottom are the brand name Robeez I got used at a twins sale--original retail $29.99. As you can see the target brand is wearing down MUCH faster than the Robeez. I still don't know that I would pay $30 for infant shoes--especially since I don't pay $30 for my own shoes. But it sure makes me realize you get what you pay for!! I'd love to hear your take on the issue. When does it pay off to fork over the extra bucks for the brand name?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I was given a pair of Robeez for Luke and LOVED them. But when he grew out of them I bought the Target version. He never liked those as much, they wore down faster and didn't stay on his feet as well. So, I broke down and bought some Robeez and we were happy with feet again (I did go to the Robeez website and order them because they were on a pretty good sale).

Unknown said...

So here is my mercenary view:

Compare first the cost per time usable; ie. do the Robeez last twice as long or more?

Second compare function; such as a dining room table. Does anyone really recognize, at sight, an Ethan Allen table? Or does the Solid Oak from Oak express show it's non-brand? My opinion is no (though some people might say yes).

I always shell out for Pants, dresses, and blouses, but not shirts or shorts. Shoes I'm on the fence.

That's my philosophy.

The Lowe Girl said...

I've been thinking this one over before commenting as I have faced this question myself. My decision has been that the less expensive version lasted long enough and were in good enough condition until I needed to get the next size up. I do only have boys so my choices have been much less exciting--but I have been happy with Target's version. (I just can't get over spending $30 plus for baby shoes!!) I didn't ever keep the shoes to pass on to the next boy though--maybe I would've if they would have been in better condition...hmmm.